Sunday, January 08, 2017

Tuesday Tales – Word Prompt Coffee





Welcome to this weeks edition of Tuesday Tales to the word prompt coffee. This week the prompt feel right into my tale as last week they were eating coffee. It is cold and snowy in Barnegat, New Jersey. So it is the perfect week to grab that cup of coffee and enjoy the tales from this wonderful group of authors. 


Over dinner they discussed the sitcom, with Robbie telling her how excited the producers are with the quality of her work. After cleaning up the dinner dishes, Robbie led her into the living room
and added wood to the fireplace. Jill sat down on the couch across from the fire and watched Robbie. When he stood, he pivoted in his black lace leather shoe to face her.

“I thought we’d have dessert by the fire, if that’s all right with you?”

“I’d love to.” Jill stood. “I’ll pour the coffee and bring it in.”

Robbie held up his hand. “No. You are a guest in my house. I want you to sit back and get comfortable. All work related talk is off the table as of now.”

“I couldn’t agree more. But I’m not sure what else we have to talk about,” she kidded.

 “There is plenty to discuss. I need to know more about you, then your writing skills. I have a feeling there is so much about you that will account for the great dialog that escapes from your mind and out onto the paper. You are someone special.”

“Don’t be silly. I was just born with these crazy plot ideas.”

“Hey did you forget you are talking to a fellow writer. Your past has bearing on your present. The deep writing you have, tells me that you’re a woman with a definitely interesting past.” Before she replied, he said, “You stay right here.
I’ll be back with the coffee and the Italian cheesecake I made. Make yourself at home.”

“Thank you.”

Jill walked over to the fireplace and rubbed her hands together.  The heat of the fire felt good. She hated the cold weather, so her feeling was the hotter the better.

Looking around the room, you would know it was a bachelor pad. There was no indication of any female presence in his home.  She wanted to know more about him, yet, she wasn’t sure she wanted to get wrapped up into any personal relationship with him. As she told him earlier, mixing business and pleasure wasn’t the smartest thing to do especially when they were working together.

“That’s my mother and father,” Robbie said, putting the tray down with the coffee mugs and dishes. He walked over to where Jill stood and placed his hand on her shoulder.

Jill looked from the picture to Robbie. “I think you look like your dad with your mom’s eyes.”

“That’s what everyone says.” Robbie slid his hand under her chin, lifted her eyes up to meet his. “It’s okay, both my parents are still alive.”

“So are mine.” Jill smiled. “We are the lucky ones.”

“Yes we are. I need to spend more time with them.”

“Same on my end.”

Robbie took her hand and led her back over to the couch. “Sit down, relax.” He waited for her to sit before he cut her a piece of cake and placed her coffee mug down
on the coaster in front of her. “This is my great grandmother’s secret recipe.”

Jill took a forkful and smiled. “This is really good. You can’t get cheesecake in any bakery that tastes like this.”

“Thank you.” Robbie took a sip from his mug. “Are you comfortable?”

“Yes,” she said, crossing her legs.

Robbie leaned over, untied his shoelaces, slid his shoes off and placed them by the side of the couch.  Jill wondered if she should do the same. And if she did, would she be sending him out the wrong signal.

“You have nothing to worry about,” he said, as if reading her mind. “I was going to suggest we sit in front of the fire while we have our coffee.”

“I’d like that.”

Before she could stand, he had already bent down in front of her and slid her high-heeled shoes off her feet.  As his hand glazed her feet, she shivered from excitement not from the cold. Hmm…I think I loved that feeling.  Now what?

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful excerpt! I love the intimacy, fireplace, and the Italian cheesecake to accompany the coffee. The ending is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great snippet! I loved it from the start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful excerpt. It had a down home cozy feel to it. I love sitting by the fireplace on a cold night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the nice, easy way they are getting to know each other better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice snippet, Karen! Well...except for the leaving us dangling at the end part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice snippet, Karen! Well...except for the leaving us dangling at the end part of it.

    ReplyDelete