Sunday, January 15, 2017

Tuesday Tales - Word Prompt Train





Welcome to this weeks edition of Tuesday Tales to the word prompt train. Don't forget to visit the other awesome authors.




Jill sat back on the couch with her legs resting on Robbie’s lap. As he massaged her feet, she felt a feeling of calm. She didn’t know what her game of action would be if he pursued anything more. The question at hand was did she want something more?

“Can I get you more coffee?” Robbie asked, letting go of her feet.

“I’m going have to pass. If I have more coffee I’ll be up all night.”

“I have no doubt you’ll be up all night.” Robbie stood. “I have the perfect drink for us to have by the fireplace.”

Jill watched Robbie walk into the kitchen. This wasn’t the situation she had in mind for the night.  Did she excuse herself and walk out to her cottage in the back, claiming she was exhausted? And if she did, what would he think? She knew this was the wrong decision moving into the cottage on his property. Through all the years, she never mixed business with pleasure. She never went out with her staff. She never wanted to form a friendship with them, making it uncomfortable when she needed to correct them or reprimand them.

Robbie returned with a wooden tray and placed it down in front of the fireplace. “I thought we’d have a cup of cappuccino before we turn in for the night.” He walked over to Jill and led her over to the fireplace.

They sat down and Jill leaned against the cocktail table to face the fireplace.

“Cappuccino! My favorite.” Jill couldn’t help but giggle when she saw the whipped cream with a cherry on top and on the rim, a chunk of chocolate. “This is so sweet. I appreciate you going out of your way.”

“This is my favorite too. The chocolate was a kiss ass presentation that I know how to make a cup of coffee look gourmet.”

“You did a wonderful job impressing me.”

Robbie blushed. He extended his long legs out toward the fireplace and leaned against the cocktail table next to her. “I’m trying to make you feel at home.”

“Thank you. I appreciate it.”

Robbie lifted the cup off the tray and handed it to Jill. “I thought this would make the perfect nightcap.”

“It is.” Jill smiled. Once again she misinterpreted a single act of thoughtfulness. Why was she always on edge, looking too deep into things?

“Then my job is done.”

Jill took the piece of chocolate off the rim off her cup and took a bite.  “Mmm. How did you know dark chocolate is my favorite?”

Robbie laughed. “A good guess? But all kidding aside, I noticed that every time you reached for a piece of chocolate you went after the dark.”

Jill was surprised that he took notice of the small details. She lifted her cup up to her lips and took a sip. “Aw delicious.”

“So I see.” Robbie reached out and with his index finger he ran it across her upper lip. “Looks like you left some cream behind.” He held out his finger laced with whip cream and licked his finger.

“Oh no! Do I have whipped cream all over my face?  How embarrassing.”

“You’re fine.”

Jill glanced at the clock on top of the mantel. “I loved dinner,” she said, standing up. “But it’s getting late and I still have to unpack my luggage and work on the show.” Reaching down, she grabbed her shoes and slid them back onto her feet. She had to train herself to leave before things got a chance to get out of hand.

“I’ll walk you to your cottage.”

“Thank you.”

They walked out the back door and along the side of the pool to the cobblestone path leading to her place. Jill opened the door, and turned to face Robbie. “Thanks for such a lovely welcome.”

Instead of answering, he leaned into her, touched her cheek and softly kissed her lips. Surprising herself, she kissed him back as her heart raced with desire. This wasn’t the way she expected her evening to end. It was too soon. She didn’t know what she wanted, but she didn’t have to worry about making any kind of decision.

Robbie took a step back. “I think it’s time for me to leave.” He winked at her before walking down the cobblestone path back to his house.

2 comments:

  1. I love the slow dancing around each other here. I like that she gave in a little. I'm looking forward to their taking steps closer and closer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done. Terrific anticipation here, wondering who'll make the first move.

    ReplyDelete